Sunday, August 10, 2008

Snow Lake Hike

Gem Lake above Snow Lake

I had intended on making this an overnight trip, introducing Muirenn to some backpacking. None of this 'drive a car to a camp site and set up your tent there' business. Unfortunately a cold front moved in last Friday and brought with it a fresh dose of much needed rain. Muirenn was off the hook, I wasn't going to introduce the wonders of the back-country to her and sleeping under the stars, miles away from the car and trail-head, on a windy rainy night that would leave her trembling with fear at the very mention of the words 'camp' or 'hike'.

So I took off by myself on Sunday morning at the crack of dawn. Drove up the I-90 to Snoqualmie Pass and hit the trail by 8:00 a.m. It was overcast as I skirted the deep switchbacks leading up to the ridge across from Alpental ski area. Despite this, the views were spectacular and the air was fresh. It felt good to be up in the mountains amongst the pines in cold morning air. I made the ridge within the hour, tagging along with a national Forest Ranger who I had a great chat with along the way, I then dropped down into the lake basin and was surprised to see so much snow still skirting the lake. I now know why it is called Snow Lake. In parts the lake is actually frozen over still which really surprises me as we've been getting 90 degree temperatures for the past two months. We did have record snow this year which explains it, but it's a sight to behold this late in the summer.

The lake was pretty much fogged in and although it was spectacular in it's own right, I had anticipated the clouds breaking up and seeing some surrounding peaks. I decided to move on, skirting around the lake and head up to Gem Lake a couple of miles further in and up. More snow on the trail and quite a bit of mud on the slow and consistent climb before breaking out at the glorious Gem lake which, with all the cloud cover, appeared to be on top of the world. With only distant voices of another hiking group, this place was blissful, even on a cold summers day. I ate lunch, took some shots and headed back down the trail. Home by four for tea, biscuits and more tackling of that dreaded laurel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Counter