Monday, June 16, 2008

SWERVEDRIVER
Photobucket
A couple months ago I couldn't believe it when I read the mighty Swervedriver had reunited for a US tour. So, just like thirty-year-ago when I were a wee lad awaiting the release of new star-wars action figures (namely Bobba Fet the bounty hunter), I almost wet my pants when I learned the Swerves were to play Seattle. Not just Seattle, but Neumos - the intimate club where I last saw Bob Mould sonically blow my mind with his new band that blasted out his new album along with the very best of Husker Du and Sugar.

Photobucket
It was amazing to finally see Swervedriver live, although I was left feeling like they'd had better days. No doubt the apparent heroine addictions of the past have had some residual effect on these four men but they did seem like shells of their former selves. The music was impeccable - note for note, they played their songs to a tee. The whole set however just lacked that urgency and thrilling dynamic of yester-year. Of course, being part of the shoe-gazer scene of the early nineties hardly put them on a par with energetic stage dominators such as Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr,. Teenage Fanclub, Sugar and The Afghan Whigs, but you wouldn't know it from listening to their stuff. Swervedriver blessed us, me in particular with some truly energetic life changing sounds. One of the most influential bands of all time.

A quick word about the support act Film School, they SUCKED. They are huge and they SUCK. I didn't want to waste any time talking about these guys, but I have to state for the record that they suck. They are a prime example of how NOT to get influenced by a band like Swervedriver or My Bloody Valentine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Counter