Wednesday, September 10, 2008

THE ELKS - Sunset Tavern Gig
We played our 3rd show at the Sunset Tavern last night. A typical Tuesday with nothing much going on. I think we went on with 7 people watching us. All of whom were friends we begged to come! By our 2nd song the fringes of the club had filled out a bit and there must have been 20 - 30 people there. I was humbled by those friends who showed up knowing little what to expect. I was delighted with those friends who came to see us because they're really into our music now. It's a rare thing to hear favorable comments from people who really know about music and strengthens my belief in what I do. This is a good band and probably the most honest band I've ever been in. Older and wiser now I'm not swayed by the sounds of news bands and trends. I write what I write from my perspective and craft the sound of these songs with the guys in the band, Kevin, Scott and Todd. Funny enough it's not that far off from what I was doing in the early days of Peach and Carwash.

We played 7 songs and feel most of them are good enough to put on a record. I really got into it during the 2nd song when my friend Dave Quasha showed up. If I know for sure 1 person is really into what we do then I'll play my arse off in the same manner as if I'm playing in front of hundreds.

Two guys played an acoustic set after us and one of them turned out to be the guitarist from The Shins, which was pretty cool. Of course they weren't there to watch us so I paid very little attention to what they did. It wasn't anything to write home about anyway.

So a good night was had, even though it started off a little drab. We're putting some finishing touches on a demo and plan to get it on our great local radio station KEXP. Experience has shown that people come to watch you play if you're played on KEXP, after all this is a great music town. That's the plan and we'll see how it plays out - right here on 'Shano in Seattle'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Counter